Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Serpentine vs Straight line flight

From: Pascal Brisset
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Serpentine vs Straight line flight
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 23:23:44 +0200

Hi John,

the awfull navigation of TJ1 in the simulation comes from a too high navigation gain, called "course pgain". This coefficient says how much you have to roll (in radian) for a given route error (in radian). With a coefficient equal to 0.5, if you go north and you want to go east, it's a pi/2 route error, you get a pi/4 roll command to the right. The TJ1 course pgain coefficient is equal to -0.9 and is fine for actual flight. But since the simulation provides a poor model of the aircraft, this coefficient has to be a lot smaller (around -0.3). You can set it during the flight (settings/control/nav course_pgain) and/or in the airframe file (twinjet1.xml, COURSE_PGAIN).

--Pascal

John Koches wrote:
Today's question, what makes the TJ1 fly with a serpentine pattern while the Mj5 seems to fly in a straight line path in your simulation demonstration. I assume it is something in the airframe file, but I don't know what I am looking for. Again, whatever help you can give would be most appreciated. And thanks again for all of your assistance!!! jkk