Re: [Openexr-devel] Deep object ID and lack of Z

From: Brendan Bolles
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] Deep object ID and lack of Z
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 17:18:28 -0800

On Nov 12, 2014, at 4:36 PM, Peter Hillman wrote:

> By analogy, there is a convention of how to store RGBA in a regular EXR and
> what those values mean. You are permitted to store anything you like instead,
> but there are no conventions.

I guess he's saying he wants there to be a convention so that other apps might
have a chance at working with those files.

This makes sense to me if you think of a bunch of layers in After Effects or
Photoshop.  There is no literal depth, but there is a sense of having multiple
samples per pixel.  So maybe a deep layered image would substitute "Z" for "id".

Brendan