Re: [Openexr-devel] PIZ-Compression / Multithreading

From: Florian Kainz
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] PIZ-Compression / Multithreading
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 15:31:50 -0800

Brendan Bolles wrote:
Hey David, I think you'll find that to optimize for Nuke, you'll also want to switch to Zip compression. The main reason is that Nuke's scanline renderer can go through and read just the lines it needs. Piz and Zip16 lump 16 lines together (right?), so Nuke has to read the whole chunk.

I don't know how Nuke works, but if it reads scan lines top-to-bottom or
bottom-to-top (as opposed to accessing the scan lines in random order),
then reading chunks of 16 lines might actually be faster than reading
individual lines.  Also, with 16-line chunks you tend to get slightly
better compression.