Re: [Openexr-devel] PIZ-Compression / Multithreading

From: Brendan Bolles
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] PIZ-Compression / Multithreading
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 15:12:20 -0800

On Nov 24, 2009, at 2:56 AM, David wrote:

i've got two little questions:
I'm developping a c++-tool to convert OpenExr-images from Maya to OpenExr-images which are optimized for Nuke (the tool creates a data window and converts the images into scanline-mode with piz compression).

Hey David, I think you'll find that to optimize for Nuke, you'll also want to switch to Zip compression. The main reason is that Nuke's scanline renderer can go through and read just the lines it needs. Piz and Zip16 lump 16 lines together (right?), so Nuke has to read the whole chunk.

Also, since you'll tend to read the files many times more than you write them, Zip will decompress faster than Piz and you'll get a little speed bump on every read.

Finally, to take advantage of multithreading, you have to call writePixels() with a lot of scan lines. For writing, I usually just do one big writePixels() call with all the lines together, but I find doing 128-line chunks is almost as fast.

Brendan