Re: [Openexr-devel] Processing in 'half' float

From: Paul Miller
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] Processing in 'half' float
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 14:13:54 -0500

Luc-Eric Rousseau wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, the c++ class 'half' relies on converting to and from 32-bit float to provide mathematical operators.
Is it reasonable to consider refactoring existing c++ image processing code
written for 32-bit floats to work in 'half'?  What I'm looking for is saving
RAM and avoid converting images for processing for cases like blurs and effects
more complex than a per-channel look-up-table can handle.

Is anyone doing something like this, or is the performance cost too high?

The roto and paint engine in Silhouette does it's software image processing entirely in half, and it is plenty fast. I've been very impressed with its performance.

--
Paul Miller | address@hidden | www.fxtech.com | Got Tivo?