[Openexr-devel] Processing in 'half' float

From: Luc-Eric Rousseau
Subject: [Openexr-devel] Processing in 'half' float
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 13:18:00 -0400

If I'm not mistaken, the c++ class 'half' relies on converting to and from
32-bit float to provide mathematical operators.

Is it reasonable to consider refactoring existing c++ image processing code
written for 32-bit floats to work in 'half'?  What I'm looking for is saving
RAM and avoid converting images for processing for cases like blurs and effects
more complex than a per-channel look-up-table can handle.

Is anyone doing something like this, or is the performance cost too high?

Alternatively, are there fast software-only /,*,+,-, operators implementation
available for 'half' that won't go through 32-bit float?