Re: [Openexr-devel] Surviving partial-saved exr tiles

From: Florian Kainz
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] Surviving partial-saved exr tiles
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 18:16:21 -0800

Two points I forgot to mention in my previous mail:

* If the program that writes the tiled image receives the tiles
  in random order, setting the image file's lineOrder to RANDOM_Y
  ensures that each tile appears in the output file as soon as
  it is passed to the IlmImf library.  (With INCREASING_Y or
  DECREASING_Y order the library buffers the tiles until it can
  store them in the file in the correct order.)

* The exrdisplay image viewer does not attempt to recover as
  much of the file as possible; exrdisplay gives up as soon as
  it encounters a missing scan line or tile.  If the first
  tile that exrdisplay attempts to read happens to be missing
  then no image is displayed at all.

Florian

Florian Kainz wrote:
Hi Ton,

incomplete tile-based files should be readable.  When you attempt
to read a missing tile an exception is thrown, but you should be
able to continue reading after you have caught the exception:

    for (int tileY = 0; tileY < in.numYTiles(); ++tileY)
        for (int tileX = 0; tileX < in.numXTiles(); ++tileX)
            try
            {
                in.readTile (tileX, tileY);
            }
            catch (Iex::InputExc &)
            {
                continue;
            }

Do you have an example file where continuing to read after a
missing tile does not work?

Florian

---

P.S.: I did reply to one or two recent mails from you, but my
mails directly to you all bounced.

Ton Roosendaal wrote:
Hi,

Blender is saving tile-based exr files now in the core render loop, saving to disk rendering results to read back after all tiles have been completed. Howver, on a user-break these files are not readable, since tiles are missing in the file.

Is there a way to properly close an exr file with only parts of the tiles in it?

Thanks,

-Ton-

(Note; if this mail comes through, my replies to the previous question never made it... for some reason the nongnu mail server bounces mails I send).

------------------------------------------------------------------------ -- Ton Roosendaal Blender Foundation address@hidden http://www.blender.org