Re: [Openexr-devel] Embedding ICC profiles in OpenEXR

From: Geraldine Joffre
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] Embedding ICC profiles in OpenEXR
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 12:31:09 -0500

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 09:38:48 +0100 (CET), Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote
> What CMMs are known, that handle HDR content properly, including
> support of:
> o floating point precission,
> o a value range greater than one and possibly lower than zero.
> ?
If you are using the CMM for display purposes, 16-bit precision is far enough
for standard
monitors.

> Without such a CMM, ICC profiles could only be used for displaying
I agree, but many applications just need the CMM for displaying the HDR image.

> or could easily degrade the content by integer math manipulations.
Yes if you want to change the color space of the HDR image. Normally, you only
need to change
the color space for display or printing, and this will be done on the Low
Dynamic Range version
of the HDRI (expect for users who have an HDR display at their disposal, but
this is a very small
minority for the moment).

> Wich CMM is used in Photomatix?
Own CMM for the currrent version in development, though we are considering
replacing it by
LCMS. Photomatix is not an HDR image editor, it only needs the functions of a
CMM for display
and for embedding a profile in the tone mapped LDR images. I believe many
applications
targeted at photographers will have the same requirements once they get into
HDR, which is
why I think it would be great if OpenEXR files could embed ICC profiles.