Re: [Openexr-devel] f-stops and steps. How are they related?

From: Yves Poissant
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] f-stops and steps. How are they related?
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 16:00:45 -0500

Hi Florian,

I just finished reading Charles Pontyon and Geg Ward documents you pointed me to. I want to thank you for your patience.

I now understand why my reasoning about breaking down the f-stops segments into equal number of levels was fundamentally wrong and why my assumption that the encoding could be thought as a floating point was also off.

Actually, I now see that the traditional 8 bit encoding is similar to the lowest non-normalized portion of the EXR format. That is, in linear encoding, each higher f-stop gains in precision and the lowest f-stop segment have very little precision. I used to know about Gamma adjustment pretty well but failed to recognize the implication on the resolution. The "High Dynamic Range Image Encoding" paper by Greg Ward made it all fall in place.

By using a binary floating point representation, we have a representation that keeps a very good resolution, and each f-stop segment is exactly represented like the other ones, thanks to this perfect match between the inherent power of two scaling of the binary exponent and the power of two nature of f-stops.

As a side note, concerning my monitor gamma adjustment, I adjusted the gamma (which is set to 1.65 on the video card driver) so that the set of gamma patterns that are available on the Net (and I tested all of which I could find) does look OK. So in the end, I don't really know the exact total gamma I have since the monitor itself, a flat Sony trinitron, already have a pretty good hardware gamma correction when I compare it to other monitors around. You are correct that adjusting my monitor instead of the data does produce contouring in dark portions of images. This is most noticeable with strongly compressed jpeg images (although I only produce jpeg images as final output) and a little lesss noticeable in non compressed images. But that is the price to pay for wanting to work with linear data. I used to do a lot of image manipulation, especially RAW digital photo data (which is not really linear but that is another story) and needed to work in linear encoding for all those operations.

Regards,
Yves Poissant
Hash Inc.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Florian Kainz" <address@hidden>