[Openexr-devel] f-stops and steps. How are they related?

From: Yves Poissant
Subject: [Openexr-devel] f-stops and steps. How are they related?
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 20:58:08 -0500

Hi there,

I'm reading the OpenEXR File Format document and the post by Florian Kainz
on 26 feb 2004 and I'm trying to understand what the numbers mean. If anybody can correct some (or all?) of my assumptions, I would appreciate. BTW, Sorry for the format, I'm just trying to write down my reasoning in a readable way.

First, I understand what an f-stop means and Mr. Kainz explanation fits in
very well.

In the OpenEXR File Format, in the "Features of OpenEXR" under "high dynamic range", I read "With 16-bits, the representable dynamic range is ... 10^9 or 30 f-stop without loss of precision"

1: - That is because the 5-bit exponent = 30 something mantissa shifts.
2: - Thus each f-stop corresponds to 1 mantissa shift or said another way, one divide by 2 or one multiply by 2. That makes perfect sense.

Then a little bit further, I read "Most 8-bit file formats have around 7 to 10 f-stops"

3: - Lets say a given file have a range of 8 f-stops. That would mean each f-stop is represented by 32 of the 256 steps. It is as if the mantissa had 5 bits precision and the exponent 3 bits. 4: - Since 1 f-stop means double intensity, that also means that the data stored in this file represent a range of intensity going from 1i to 256i. Or the intensity of the brightest pixel represent an intensity which is 256 brighter than the intensity of the darkest pixel. This is intuitive since we can shift 8 times an 8-bit value or divide (or multiply) 8 times by 2..

Then in the next paragraph, under "good color resolution", I read: "somewhere around 20 to 80 steps per f-stop for most 8-bit file formats"

5: - The actual values stored in an 8 bit buffer may be scaled down or up with a contrast operator of some sort. 6: - My 32 steps per f-stop as computed above fits confortably in this range. So we're talking about the same thing here.

In the same sentense, I read: "With 16-bit ... color resolution is 1024 steps per f-stop"

7: - 1024 steps because of the 10-bit mantissa.
8: - "1024 steps per f-stop" means that step 1024 represents only double the intensity as step 1.

Then later, under "What's in the number", I read "By storing linear data in the file (double the number, double the light)"

9: - This is consistent with the above reasoning.

Everything seems to fall in place. Did I missed anything or misinterpret anything?

Yves Poissant
Hash Inc.