Re: [Openexr-devel] Query: Image Based Lighting and HDRI-enabled cameras

From: Anders Dahnielson
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] Query: Image Based Lighting and HDRI-enabled cameras
Date: 28 Jul 2003 19:46:08 +0200

> Zap> Anyway. The QUESTION is, is there... or can there be built, a
> Zap> camera that works like e.g. the 24p cameras George Lucas used on
> Zap> Episode II... but that shot in HDRI *directly*?
>
> You don't want that.  You want raw data from the sensor.  Then you
> can convert it to hdri at your leisure, w/o losing anything.

I'm trying to figure out how to translate and express dynamic range into
f-stops based on dB values in CCD image sensor specifications.

Can a CCD with 60 dB be expressed as having 20 f-stops of dynamic range?

Or am I totaly off base?

--
Anders Dahnielson
<address@hidden>

GnuPG 1024D/D424211B 8FDC 38E7 D8E9 67AE 85F4  F2A1 D71D 7FCE D424 211B

"I smell something fishy, and I'm not talking about the
contents of Baldrick's apple crumble."
    -- Blackadder (Blackadder S4EP1)