Re: [Openexr-devel] congratulations and thanks, but...

From: Drew Hess
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] congratulations and thanks, but...
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 11:25:00 -0800 (PST)

Hi Dana,

All 3 of your observations are correct.

It's true, OpenEXR does not support tiling.  It's scanline-oriented only.
We don't do file-based tiling here at ILM, we do it at the application
level (if at all), so it's never been an issue for us.

It doesn't don't do different compressors per channel, either.  Again,
we've just never had the need.

I'll see about scheduling some time to add these features, since others
have requested them, too.  They're not trivial changes, so it may take
awhile.  Of course, part of the point of open sourcing the format is to
get more developers, so if anyone out there wants to give either one of
these a shot, feel free :)

Regarding multiple images per file, what's the advantage of that versus
something simple like putting multiple images in a tar file?

On a related note, since you're considering adding OpenEXR support to
Renderman, we already have an OpenEXR display driver for Renderman, as you
can imagine, and we're working to make it available with the rest of our
OpenEXR software distribution.  Bill Anderson is copied on this email;
he's the guy looking into it from our side.  Hopefully you can leverage
off the work we've already done if you decide to incorporate OpenEXR into
official Pixar releases of Renderman (and we hope you do!).

Talk to Bill if you're interested in pursuing that.

thanks for the comments

-dwh-