[Openexr-devel] congratulations and thanks, but...

From: Dana Batali
Subject: [Openexr-devel] congratulations and thanks, but...
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 08:34:37 -0800

Congratulations and thanks to ILM and NVidia for the promotion of HDR images and the contribution of OpenEXR! We're considering adding support for it to Pixar's RenderMan but, in a brief scan through the description on the web site, I've identified a few important (critical?) limitations:

1. the format doesn't appear to support image tiles.
Can this be true? If so, I suggest that this is an important flaw that should be corrected at the earliest possible moment. Specifically, the format appears to be exclusively scan line oriented. For many applications it is more convenient and efficient to store data in regular rectangular "tiles". For example, both TIFF and Maya's IFF formats support tiles.

2. the format doesn't appear to support multiple images.
The idea here it may be useful to store a related collection of images within a single file. Each image has it's own resolution and independent channel specs. We need to store image pyramids in a single file. There are numerous other situations where this feature is required.

3. the format doesn't appear to support different compressors for different channels. Kudos for allowing arbitrary numbers and combination of channels per image! Given this potential mix of data types (and even image contents (imagery versus alpha, for example)) you'll be able to get smaller files by supporting per-channel compression types.

These are the off-the-top-of-my-head reservations about this new file format. The new 16bit floats and the associated compression methodologies are superior to anything publicly available that I'm aware of. The arbitrary channel count is also very desirable. But the limitations outlined above aren't present in TIFF and Maya's IFF and might impede the widespread adoption of this format.

I hope someone can tell me I'm missing something?

Thanks,
Dana Batali
RenderMan Products
Pixar Animation Studios