RE: windows installer - vbs vs bat startup script

From: JohnD
Subject: RE: windows installer - vbs vs bat startup script
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2020 15:32:40 -0400

From: Ian McCallion [mailto:ian.mccallion@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, August 28, 2020 3:23 PM
To: JohnD
Cc: John W. Eaton; Nicholas Jankowski; octave-maintainers

On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 at 13:33, JohnD <john.david.donoghue@gmail.com> wrote:

From: Ian McCallion [mailto:ian.mccallion@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, August 28, 2020 3:24 AM
To: JohnD
Cc: John W. Eaton; Nicholas Jankowski; octave-maintainers

On Friday, 28 August 2020, JohnD <john.david.donoghue@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

Heres a launcher exe code that looks like will work. See comments in file for compiling.

It probally needs a little more work to ensure things don’t buffer run, and doesn’t do much error checking

It assumes its in the same directory as the octave executable and works out the paths from that.

Its pretty close to what is being done in the.vbs scrip, but in a different order for parts

Looks good John. If I may suggest octave-launcher.exe is always installed in the root folder for the release, independently of where the main exes get installed. This will avoid a potential cause of breakage between releases for user code that launches octave.

Cheers... Ian

Ok modded to expect to be in the root of the install directory where octave.vbs currently would reside.

I confirm it works launching the GUI with no black window appearing.

When launching the CLI it works the same as the .vbs, i.e. it creates a new window even if the launch is invoked from an existing commandline window. The .bat file however runs Octave in the existing window, see the following:

rem this runs octave-cli in existing window

   call octave.bat --no-gui

rem all the following lines run octave-cli in new window

   start octave.bat  --no-gui

   call octave.vbs --no-gui

   start octave.vbs --no-gui

   call octave-launcher --no-gui

   start octave-launch --no-gui

The ideal would be for

   call octave-launcher --no-gui

to run octave-cli in existing window. I believe then that both .bat and .vbs could then be deprecated or immediately deleted.

Cheers... Ian

Its not that simple – octave sets env paths for the octave when running pkg install, which is set in windows from the .bat file so cant just be removed

‘start’ creates a new wndow befefault unless is told not to, so that is expected behavior for the start calls.

So the only one that could be changed to work differently would be octave-launcher --no-gui, if all ready running in a terminal