warning: suggest parenthesis around assignment used as truth value

From: José Abílio Matos
Subject: warning: suggest parenthesis around assignment used as truth value
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2020 10:26:35 +0000

I am using octave 6 and I am getting this dreadful :-):

warning: suggest parenthesis around assignment used as truth value near line
135...

The line where it complains is the one after the elseif:

if length(rhs) < pow || isempty(rhs{pow})
    rhs{pow} = terms{j}(start:end);
elseif
    rhs{pow} = [rhs{pow}, ' + ', terms{j}(start:end)];
end

In terms of context we have that "terms" is a cell string (in column mode) and
"rhs" is also a cell string.

Searching I found this previous thread:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/octave-maintainers/2009-03/msg00289.html

I am reporting this because I was surprised by the warning and I fail to see
where is this relevant.

Thank you,
--
José Matos