Re: OCL package 1.0.0 released

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: OCL package 1.0.0 released
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2019 18:57:50 +0100

On Sat, Dec 07, 2019 at 10:49:03PM +0100, Matthias W. Klein wrote:
> Done. The OF repo content is a current clone of the SF repo.

Ok, got 47 changesets.

> Next question is whether we also replicate the existing releases, 4 so
> far

I'd say no. They most likely would require changes, and with changes
it would be different releases.

> and I am currently preparing a new one.

Let's concentrate on the upcoming one, I'd say.

> With 'controversial' I meant that the question has been discussed
> controversially on the maintainer ML, regarding ocl.
>
> I recently expressed that, given the tight dependency of ocl to octave
> sources, I would favor a community package status at least in the long
> run. It is perfectly acceptable for me to start this long run early.
>
> Here is my suggestion: I am preparing the next release, still as a
> one-man show, and we subsequently turn ocl into a community package.
> Does this sound like a plan? It will be good to agree on such a course
> of action in advance.

Ok from my side. And to be honest: most of the work is likely to be on
your shoulders anyway, even with community status.

> The suggestion would mean I can expect to release version 1.1.0 soon. We
> should agree on whether we want peer review before/with release or not
> (yet).

Any release is reviewed, how much 'peer' depends on the situation. A
new package will be reviewed more thoroughly. The usual way is that
the maintainer (you) makes something ready of which he thinks it can
be released. With reviewing, changes may be applied. If you have
specific questions before, you can ask them at the maintainers list.

> I was unclear, sorry for the misunderstanding. The ocl repo currently
> has a flat directory "structure" and one Makefile (at this "root level")
> which does everything I needed so far: without arguments, it compiles
> the sources locally; with other targets it aids in development; and
> 'make dist' yields the release tarball (which contains a non-trivial
> internal directory structure as needed, including a clone of the single
> Makefile at src/Makefile).

We can sort this out time by time. In the download from your origingal
repository, the directory structure wasn't flat, there were inst/ and
src/ directories. These should be re-introduced now (i.e., be conform
with the docs of Octaves pkg() for new packages). You can leave your
Makefile under src/. Additionally, there should be a Makefile at root,
with targets 'dist' and related ones.

Olaf