Re: Is fork() broken in octave 5.1 ?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Is fork() broken in octave 5.1 ?
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2019 14:25:31 -0400

On 9/26/19 1:42 PM, Mike Miller wrote:
On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 19:27:55 +0200, Kay Nick wrote:
Nevertheless I find this behavior not intuitive... What is the reason
for preventing fork() from being used in a simple script?

It is related to this (still open) bug report:
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?45625

Yes, the check was added to prevent simple calls to fork at the command line from creating two copies of Octave both competing for input from the terminal and possibly confusing users. Once this situation occurs, it can be difficult to recover from without killing the session.

The check that was added doesn't distinguish between the command line and a script evaluated from the command line. A script executes in the scope of the caller and the check was for execution at the top-level scope rather than checking the depth of the call stack.

Maybe we could change the condition so that it will allow fork if it is executed from a script but not directly from the command line.