Re: profiling Octave

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: profiling Octave
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2019 00:50:30 -0400

On 8/9/19 12:30 AM, Rik wrote:
jwe,

I wanted to look to look empirically at the slow down that has occurred
over time with Octave.

I tried oprofile first, but even with some tweaking of the sampling
frequency I couldn't get high enough resolution to really see what needs to
be optimized.

Since we're using GNU tools I thought I would just instrument the code by
compiling with -pg and then use gprof to examine things.  But, run-octave
quits immediately with "Profiling time alarm".  I suspect it is something
to do with uncaught signals and the way that the octave wrapper forks
immediately.

As a final stab I tried Callgrind with 'run-octave -callgrind' but the
resulting log file is completely empty.  Probably, again, because it is
tracking the wrapper that forks rather than the true executable.

Any ideas?

If you are just looking at the interpreter speed and not the GUI, can you try the profiling tools with octave-cli? It doesn't fork at startup.