Re: profiling Octave

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: profiling Octave
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2019 20:16:26 +0100

On Fri, 9 Aug 2019 at 05:30, Rik <address@hidden> wrote:
> I wanted to look to look empirically at the slow down that has occurred
> over time with Octave.
>
> [...]
>
> Any ideas?

Have we actually established that Octave has indeed been running
slower over time?  There's been a lot of talk about it, but all the
measurements I have seen where by running the test suite and not a
real Octave program.

I think that before worrying about what tools to check where the
performance drop is, maybe we should get a set of programs that can be
used to confirm this slowdown.

For what is worth, I too have the feeling that Octave has been getting
slower over time, I just haven't actually got around to confirm this
with proper methods.