Re: OctConf 2018, second day -- a lot of discussions and some work done

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: OctConf 2018, second day -- a lot of discussions and some work done
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2018 20:26:55 +0100

A few further thoughts:

- Even with the current state, with a package outside the Octave
  distribution, supporting only the newest stable Octave version is
  possible. Supporting more Octave versions is done for the benefit of
  users. With the package in core, this additional benefit is
  lost. (Meaning: If a user wants the newest package version, he has
  to install the newest Octave version -- probably from source, except
  on Windows.)

- Maintaining a package in Octave core excludes (more or less) those
  without write access to core.

The solution of having corresponding packages inside and outside of
the Octave distribution seems impractial to me.

Does the mere fact that a package is hosted at OF instead of core
Octave hinder the involvement of core Octave developers? I don't think
so -- I think the main effect of the change will probably boil down to
spare the effort of supporting more than one Octave version. As I
said, this effort could be spared with the current state as well...

These are only thoughts, no determined opposition. I'm curious what
will turn out in the end.

Olaf