Re: OctConf 2018, second day -- a lot of discussions and some work done

From: Oliver Heimlich
Subject: Re: OctConf 2018, second day -- a lot of discussions and some work done
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2018 21:08:16 +0100

Am 14. März 2018 20:11:47 MEZ schrieb Olaf Till <address@hidden>:
>On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 11:51:53PM +0100, Carnë Draug wrote:
>>   2) core will start to include a subset of packages, the first of
>>   which will be for statistics.
>
>A short time ago Rik requested the statistics package to provide
>statistics functions which will be removed from core Octave. This has
>been done, by providing each of them in case they are detected to be
>lacking in core Octave. Including the statistics package into core
>Octave seems to go in the opposite direction. Or don't I see what in
>detail is meant by 'include'? And what is the rationale?
>
>Olaf

The rough idea is to eventually have statistics released together with core. It
will still be a loadable package (you must use pkg load). It will no longer be
released on OF.

The main difference will be on the developer side, e.g. which repository will
be used (which primarily affects how much attention it gets from core devs).
Also the package no longer will need to support multiple versions of Octave
core.

Another plan is to target Matlab compatibility. So there might be additional
work with moving incompatible functions out of statistics into a new(?)
package.

Many details still have to be decided.

Oliver