Re: GSL in octave

From: Julien Bect
Subject: Re: GSL in octave
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 08:54:58 +0200

Le 19/07/2016 à 04:09, Susi Lehtola a écrit :
Concerning the dependencies, the DESCRIPTION file only mentions "octave

a) Can you really build on such an old release of Octave? Can anyone try
on 3.8.x? 3.6.x?

I just tried on 3.4.6 (Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6) and it seems to build just fine. But, I noticed that the version of gsl (1.13) is a bit too old for the wrappers to build, since some function APIs have changed in GSL 2.

How can you tell that it builds just fine if the version of gsl is too old for your wrappers to actually build?

Anyway, this is certainly not the most pressing issue... But, unless we have a specific reason to require, say, Octave >= 3.2.0 or octave >= 3.4.0, why not simply remove this octave dependency from DESCRIPTION and wait for some to complain (which might very well never happen)?

@all: is there a general policy about that for OF packages?