Re: Octave-Forge: How to integrate package documentation?

From: Oliver Heimlich
Subject: Re: Octave-Forge: How to integrate package documentation?
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2015 23:13:24 +0100

On 25.12.2015 22:09, Olaf Till wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 11:50:57PM +0100, Oliver Heimlich wrote:
>>  - The doc command in Octave core apparently does not support packages.
>> What would be needed to achieve this?
>> 3. Optional: The unified Texinfo source for the package could be used to
>> ship an info file as part of the package release, which could be browsed
>> in Octave's doc browser.
>
> For the case you'd like to care also for the details of shipping the
> info file and of invoking a browser for it, I should probably mention
> that this was discussed to some extent in the thread starting with
> this post:
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/octave-maintainers/2014-06/msg00235.html
>
> coming to the result that a call like 'pkg doc' could invoke the
> browser. A patch for pkg for handling the info files, keeping track of
> them, and invoking a browser, had been submitted. The patch didn't
> work for invoking the browser in GUI mode.
>
> Olaf

Thanks for pointing me to that old thread, which happened shortly before
I have joined the mailing list.  The topic can be revived easily if more
(all) packages provided documentation in info format.

How to get there is still left to be found out.

As mentioned in the other thread the documentation gets repackaged for
different targets (HTML on Octave-Forge, global .info file in
distributions, local .info file for pkg install, …).  Probably it is a
good idea to not ship the .info as part of the release tarball and
generate it during pkg install; how would that be possible without the
generate_html package?!?

There will be much to be defined …

Oliver