Re: silent rules

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: silent rules
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 12:30:05 -0500

On 02/24/2015 12:21 PM, Rik wrote:
On 02/21/2015 06:32 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:
On 02/21/2015 09:13 AM, Rik wrote:

As long as we're going with silent rules, is there also a way to quiet
the output from the doc/interpreter directory?  I get screenfuls of
output from TeX during the production of the documentation.

With the changes I made yesterday, he doc/interpreter and doc/liboctave
directories are quiet for me.  I see this for TeX and makeinfo:

     GEN      splinefit4.txt
     GEN      splinefit6.txt
     GEN      doc-cache
     TEXI2DVI octave.dvi
     MAKEINFO octave.html
     MAKEINFO /home/jwe/src/octave/doc/interpreter/octave.info
     TEXI2PDF octave.pdf
     DVIPS    octave.ps
   dvips: Font Helvetica used in file plot.eps is not in the mapping file.
   dvips: Font Helvetica used in file hist.eps is not in the mapping file.
   dvips: Font Helvetica used in file errorbar.eps is not in the mapping
file.
   dvips: Font Helvetica used in file polar.eps is not in the mapping file.
   dvips: Font Helvetica used in file mesh.eps is not in the mapping file.

The font warnings are something to be fixed...

The doc/refcard directory is not quiet, but I'll take a look at that now.

Maybe it's a difference between Autotool verisons or Texinfo versions?  I'm
back on Kubuntu 12.04 and the output is verbose.

cd doc/interpreter
make clean
make -j1 octave.pdf

TEXINPUTS="./..:$TEXINPUTS" \
     MAKEINFO='/bin/bash
/home/rik/wip/Projects_Mine/octave-dev/build-aux/missing --run makeinfo
-I .' \
     texi2dvi --build-dir=t2d_cache octave.texi

and then tons of output.  No big deal if I'm the only one who has this issue.

What version of automake do you have? Texinfo? I have 1.14.1 and 5.2.0. What do the generated rules in doc/interpreter/Makefile look like? I see

.texi.pdf:

$(AM_V_TEXI2PDF)TEXINPUTS="$(am__TEXINFO_TEX_DIR)$(PATH_SEPARATOR)$$TEXINPUTS" \
        MAKEINFO='$(MAKEINFO) $(AM_MAKEINFOFLAGS) $(MAKEINFOFLAGS) -I
$(srcdir)' \
$(TEXI2PDF) $(AM_V_texinfo) --build-dir=$(@:.pdf=.t2p) -o $@ $(AM_V_texidevnull) \
        $<

Does the rule for making .pdf from .texi that is generated for you have the $(AM_V_texidevnull) part?