Re: silent rules

From: Rik
Subject: Re: silent rules
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2015 06:13:40 -0800

On 02/21/2015 05:41 AM, address@hidden wrote:
Re: silent rules and warnings
From:
"John W. Eaton" <address@hidden>
Date:
02/20/2015 10:53 PM
To:
Mike Miller <address@hidden>
CC:
Octave Maintainers List <address@hidden>
7bit
Message:
4

On 02/20/2015 07:27 PM, Mike Miller wrote:
On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 17:32:33 -0500, John W. Eaton wrote:

Is there any objection to enabling silent rules by default?

Yes please! :) I always build with V=0 for that same reason (and
looking forward to trying the build with your latest changes).

I doubt there's anything we could do about the warnings from
flex-generated code. However, to silence those warnings specifically
we could drop a #pragma at the top of the generated file to disable
the old-style-cast or unused-parameter or whichever warnings trigger
for that one file.

OK, I went ahead and enabled silent rules by default.  After thinking about it a bit, I don't see anything negative about doing it and it's easy to undo if it somehow turns out to cause trouble.

jwe

jwe,

As long as we're going with silent rules, is there also a way to quiet the output from the doc/interpreter directory?  I get screenfuls of output from TeX during the production of the documentation.

--Rik