Re: patch for generate_html for NEWS and package docs

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: patch for generate_html for NEWS and package docs
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 21:39:52 +0200

On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 08:29:59PM +0200, c. wrote:

> On 24 Jul 2014, at 19:40, Olaf Till <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > - (only) if options.package_doc is set manually to a filename, a link
> >  `Package Documentation' appears below the new `NEWS' link, linking
> >  to the file named by options.package_doc (in the root directory);
>
> what format do you expect this documentation to be written in?

HTML.

> should it be a single file?

Not necessarily.

> will it have a prescribed style for all packages?

I didn't plan a prescribed style. The idea came up since I had made a
documentation for optim in info format and want to make html from it
(from the texinfo, of course) which appears on the web. I'm not too
familiar with html; maybe there is some way to prescribe a style while
converting from texinfo.

> >  the file and its linked tree must be copied manually there.
> why not copy it autmatically in the generated package-html folder?

Because currently the tree structure of the documentation is
free. (Would there be a way to automatically extract the tree
structure once the root file is known?)

On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 08:01:39PM +0100, Carnë Draug wrote:
> On 24 July 2014 18:40, Olaf Till <address@hidden> wrote:
> > attached is a patch for the `generate_html' package (mostly made by
> > cut-and-paste). Changes:
> >
> > - a `NEWS' link appears in the root page (below `Function Reference'),
> >   linking to a generated NEWS.html if a NEWS file was present,
>
> I really like this idea.
>
> > - (only) if options.package_doc is set manually to a filename, a link
> >   `Package Documentation' appears below the new `NEWS' link, linking
> >   to the file named by options.package_doc (in the root directory);
> >   the file and its linked tree must be copied manually there.
>
> I don't think is necessary. The pkg documentation defines that news
> must be a NEWS file on the root of the directory so there's no point
> on optionally having a way to change this on the generate_html
> package. Also, I don't think we should have an option to make it
> optionally not appear on the html.

I think that's a misunderstanding. The second point was not about the
NEWS file, but about pre-generated package documentation in html
format. (I meant that the link `Package Documentation' is the next
line after the link `NEWS' in the root page.)

Olaf