Re: Produce Haitian Creole version of Octave

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: Produce Haitian Creole version of Octave
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2014 09:25:54 +0000

On 20 Dec 2013 03:21, Jeremy M Orloff <address@hidden> wrote:

> For a project with some statisticians in Haiti we would like to create a Haitian Creole version of Octave. We have people who can translate English to Creole and even coin new words where none exist. We would want to translate the main application and a number of toolboxes. Ideally the translation would include all strings that are printed to the screen.
>
> Can someone give me a pointer on how to go about this. I know Octave quite well but have zero knowledge about translation. A google search was not productive.
>
> Thank you,
> Jerry

Hi Jerry

Unfortunately there's currently no implemented method to do it. It's only possible to translate the GUI (just take a look into libgui/languages/).

There used to be a translation project part of Octave Forge which is no longer active. It worked by shadowing the help function and then looked for help text into its own private reference. If it couldn't find it, defaults to the original english version.

You could do it that way but aside the GUI there's no framework to do all you want.

Carnë