Re: sockets development discussion

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: sockets development discussion
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2014 07:14:42 +0000

On 4 January 2014 12:19, Paul Dreik <address@hidden> wrote:
> 1)
> backwards compatibility.
> I think the sockets package should work not only for the latest stable
> release but also the second latest and possibly older, if it is possible
> to do without much trouble.

That was probably me. I have made a lot of changes in the last 2
nights and in one of them I removed support for versions before 3.2.
But I thought it would still work in 3.6. I don't have that version
around anymore to test. What errors are you getting?

> 2)
> use int instead of a user visible class
> the sockets package has an octave type. I think that just complicates
> the code for no added value.
> returning an int which is the underlying file descriptor would be easier.
> if one wants to keep extra information connected to each socket, that
> can be done internally with the already existing static map. a
> socket_info() function could be added to get that extra info.
>
> I believe there was some discussion about this a long time ago
> http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Explanation-of-Octave-operator-overloading-tp1640167p1640177.html

I'd say go for it. Functions such as fopen for example also return a
file of class double, not its own class. And all the functions from
the sockets package that accept a socket as input, already accept an
int as input, they're not limited not to the octave_socket class.

Carnë