Re: Is the 3.8 "release ” official?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Is the 3.8 "release ” official?
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 01:25:29 -0500

On 12/29/2013 04:57 PM, Carnë Draug wrote:
Hi

Could someone comment on how official is the tarball for 3.8.0 on the
FTP server?

Rik and I thought we had waited long enough, so put the sources on
ftp.gnu.org.  Is that official enough?

None of the others things mentioned in etc/CHECKLIST were done such as
adding a tag to the repo an announcing on the mailing list. But there
was Rik's earlier email, and the 3.8 version tag on the bug tracker.

I forgot to push the changesets for the release until today.

I didn't announce it yet because binaries aren't available.  IIRC,
Jordi has been saying that we should have binaries available before
having a release.  But I didn't want to wait forever, so as a
compromise, I put the sources on the ftp site.

I don't think we have completely functional installers (including a
selection of packages) for Windows or OS X yet.  If we are going to
distribute "official" binaries, then who will be making them and from
where will we distribute them?

Should we announce the release now or wait for binaries to be
available?