Re: Contributing to octave-forge

From: Martin Vogel
Subject: Re: Contributing to octave-forge
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 18:36:51 +0200

Am 18.10.2013 18:31, schrieb Mike Miller:
> On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 15:03:18 +0200, Martin Vogel wrote:
>> Dear Octave team,
>>
>> is the information posted here
>>
>> http://octave.sourceforge.net/developers.html
>>
>> for first-time contributors still valid? Especially about using SVN etc.?
>
> Hi Martin,
>
> The best answer I have is that it depends. What kind of contribution
> are you considering making?
>
> If you have a fix or improvement to an existing function, you can
> submit a patch at
>
>   https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?group=octave
>
> If you have written a new function that you would like to see added to
> an existing package, you can also add entirely new function files to
> the same patch tracker.
>
> If you are familiar with mercurial or svn, it would be best to work
> with the repository for the package you want to contribute to. We are
> in a process of transitioning many packages from svn to mercurial, so
> please see the sourceforge project page to determine which packages
> are in which repository. Once you have made your changes, you can
> still simply generate a patch and submit that to the patch tracker
> same as above.
>
> If you would like to continue making contributions on a regular basis,
> then you can ask to be added to the sourceforge project, as the page
> you read describes.
>
> HTH,

Thank you, Mike. I have a little collection of functions that implement
the Mueller-Stokes-Jones calculus and that could serve as a nucleus for
an 'optics' package.

Seems best would it I package them and submit as patch. Then, we can see
how you guys want to proceed from there...

Thanks again
Martin