Re: Contributing to octave-forge

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Contributing to octave-forge
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 12:31:41 -0400

On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 15:03:18 +0200, Martin Vogel wrote:
> Dear Octave team,
>
> is the information posted here
>
> http://octave.sourceforge.net/developers.html
>
> for first-time contributors still valid? Especially about using SVN etc.?

Hi Martin,

The best answer I have is that it depends. What kind of contribution
are you considering making?

If you have a fix or improvement to an existing function, you can
submit a patch at

  https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?group=octave

If you have written a new function that you would like to see added to
an existing package, you can also add entirely new function files to
the same patch tracker.

If you are familiar with mercurial or svn, it would be best to work
with the repository for the package you want to contribute to. We are
in a process of transitioning many packages from svn to mercurial, so
please see the sourceforge project page to determine which packages
are in which repository. Once you have made your changes, you can
still simply generate a patch and submit that to the patch tracker
same as above.

If you would like to continue making contributions on a regular basis,
then you can ask to be added to the sourceforge project, as the page
you read describes.

HTH,

--
mike