Re: MXE Octave: "... has no symbols" warning under Mac OS X

From: c.
Subject: Re: MXE Octave: "... has no symbols" warning under Mac OS X
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 13:41:59 +0200

On 23 Sep 2013, at 11:27, Anirudha Bose <address@hidden> wrote:

> I don't know about how much Octave is maintained in MacPorts. The stable
> release of octave in Macports is 3.2.4, while the development snapshot of
> Octave is 3.6.4. I may be getting it wrong. If a new version of Octave is
> released, it is very simple and quick to build it for Windows or Mac OS X.

If the problem were only about Octave packages in MacPorts and/or Fink being
outdated/unmaintained (which they are not, as you could infer by other threads
on Octave mailing lists where the maintainers of such packages are quite active
...) a correct approach would be
to collaborate with the package maintainers to bring them up-to-date.

I suspect the real benefit of your approach lies elsewhere ...

For example, providing a self-contained application bundle that does not depend
on any package distribution system, would be more
consistent with the expectations of the average OSX user, but I am not sure
that is the point here either ...

> The aim is get reproducible builds without any/much user intervention.

Of course, that is the purpose of any package distribution system.

c.