Re: citation()

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: citation()
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 12:28:56 +0000

On 28 February 2013 12:03, Juan Pablo Carbajal <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 1:28 AM, Júlio Hoffimann
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>> The patch follows: https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/index.php?7960
>>
>> Carnë, could you guide me on how packages should be integrated? Feel free to
>> do it yourself if you want. ;)
>>

> After Carnë's addition it looks great.

I disagree. I'm not very happy with my submission at all. Specially,
using an empty string to remove the entry from the citation list seems
like very poor design (there's only me to blame here). And using it as
command rather than function allows for people to very easily
overwrite citation instructions by accident without chance to recover
them.

So I just did what I should have done before and checked what R does
and I found their solution much more elegant. Basically R and its
package comes with a CITATION file and citation() simple display the
contents of the file. In this case, citation() becomes very much like
what we already have for news().

I find this a much better approach. If someone adds the citation file
to the build system, I'll submit a patch for citation() and make pkg()
deal with the CITATION file.

Carnë