Re: Segfault with Java and "make check"

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Segfault with Java and "make check"
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 10:12:23 -0500

On 2 February 2013 12:20, PhilipNienhuis <address@hidden> wrote:
> makes the CLI segfault but not the GUI.
> What is different in the GUI that it behaves more robust than the CLI (...in
> this respect)?

It is folly to diagnose nasal demons by their effects. All you can
know is that a nasal demon exists, but not its true nature by
observing the effects

     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasal_demons

On your machine, the GUI doesn't crash. On some other machine, some
other time, with a different memory layout, the GUI may crash.

The nasal demon is the stack overflow. Matlab has a hard stack limit
on the interpreter. Should we do the same for Octave instead of
depending on the OS to control the number of stack frames?

- Jordi G. H.