Re: New importdata function testing

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: New importdata function testing
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 19:54:44 +0200

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
On 22 October 2012 12:34, Philip Nienhuis<address@hidden>  wrote:

Well, if mixed data processing is needed (as it seems, looking at
importdata.m) I'd again suggest to look at moving csv2cell, cell2csv,
csvexplode and csvconcat from the io package to core. They are C++, can
process mixed data well and are fairly reasonably commented.
[snip]
So, all the basic building blocks are present.

Neat. I may work on this myself. The reason I was so quick to accept
importdata into core to begin with is that I have some code at work
that's using it, and I would also like to address this embarrassment
in Octave:

http://abandonmatlab.wordpress.com/2012/08/07/matlab-cant-read-plain-text-data-out-of-a-wet-paper-bag/

Thanks for the suggestions. I may start looking at the IO package soon.

Reading that article/blog, where it says:
"One of the very useful features of R is that you can assign names almost everywhere you would use an index" I immediately thought of the dataframe package. But alas, importdata() is not so cool, it just returns a rectangular numeric matrix :-(

As to IO package, I have a new release (1.2.0) lying around for some time but couldn't yet commit the underlying changes (svn issues). TTBOMK the relevant stuff for importdata.m hasn't been touched in that new release.

Philip