Re: Thread-safety issues in QtHandles

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Thread-safety issues in QtHandles
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 21:06:26 +0000

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 8:15 PM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
> On  7-Nov-2011, Michael Goffioul wrote:
>
> | Clearly, there's a performance penalty, as using shared_ptr is heavier
> | than simply count++. OTOH, the gain - thread-safety - is also non
> | negligible.
>
> Yes, I don't expect to get that completely for free, but I was not
> expecting a 25% increase in execution time.  To me, the bad thing
> about this is it affects all users, not just those that care about
> thread safety.  As far as I know, there is nothing in the test suite
> that really depends on multiple threads.  So as a hypothetical user of
> some code that doesn't rely on having multiple threads running in the
> Octave interpreter, I would not like to see that code to suddenly be
> 25% slower because of a feature I'm not even using and don't need.

Fair enough. But I suspect the performance decrease is partially due
to the nature of the test suite, which loads every single m-file. I'd
be interested to see the same comparison for another type of benchmark
like this one: http://sciviews.org/benchmark/Octave2.m (I'll give it a
try tomorrow if I get some time).

Now the question is: what do we do?

Michael.