Re: A (dumb?) question about GLE support

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: A (dumb?) question about GLE support
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2011 19:36:36 -0500

On Mar 4, 2011, at 7:16 PM, Jussi Lehtola wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wonder if any of you have played around with GLE?
> http://glx.sourceforge.net/
>
> I think it would be a killer feature if Octave had the functionality to
> use GLE to generate plots. IMHO it generates *way* higher quality
> graphics (at least by default) than gnuplot. Plus, it seems to have no
> problems with LaTeX commands.
>
> Having no knowledge of octave interiors, I would guess that making a
> simple gle backend shouldn't be very hard, as the GLE language is
> rather simple.
>
> Although I must admit that I haven't used GLE myself, yet, since so far
> I've just done everything with MATLAB...

I agree the capability and results look very attractive.

It looks to me like GLE is designed to provide graphics output. Thus, it
wouldn't be a replacement for displaying graphics and ui objects, but would be
an attractive candidate for producing output.

If you are interested in contributing, look at how matlab2tikz works. I expect
something similar could be done with GLE.

        http://win.ua.ac.be/~nschloe/content/matlab2tikz

Ben