Re: A (dumb?) question about GLE support

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: A (dumb?) question about GLE support
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 18:28:29 -0600

On 4 March 2011 18:16, Jussi Lehtola <address@hidden> wrote:
> I think it would be a killer feature if Octave had the functionality to
> use GLE to generate plots.

Is it a lilbrary? It looks like it's a scripting language. It looks
like an external dependency and another scripting language to write in
in order to generate plots. We'd rather have something that is native
to Octave and doesn't have to communicate with pipes. Granted, perhaps
we'd be able to rip out the plotting engine as a library, but is there
a real benefit to that?

Are you aware of the fltk backend? We have been transitioning away
from gnuplot for a while, and the results so far look very good:

    http://octave.sourceforge.net/compare_plots/

I think it's unlikely that we'll abandon the OpenGL approach for an
external scriptable graphics engine.

- Jordi G. H.