Re: dirac(x) and heaviside(x)

From: Fork
Subject: Re: dirac(x) and heaviside(x)
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 17:21:23 +0000 (UTC)

John W. Eaton <jwe <at> octave.org> writes:

> Do Matlab users typically not know that a function they are using
> comes from a Matlab Toolbox(TM) instead of Matlab?  It does seem that
> Octave users don't know that they are using functions from a package,
> so I guess the answer is probably yes.

My guess is that that ML users know that they installed a Toolbox (since they
wrote the check), but then they forget about it.  I don't think familiarity with
Toolboxes maps to Octave very well because the octave forge packages don't
necessarily correspond to the Matlab Toolboxes (TM).

I actually think that ML users dabbling in Octave assume the libraries are
integrated into the main trunk/ developer community and dont' really get the
forge/ core dichotomy.