Re: Timeline for 3.4 release?

From: Benjamin Lindner
Subject: Re: Timeline for 3.4 release?
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 20:20:10 +0200

It was reported on April-17. The situation might be improved by him but I do
not know how it is
improved.
I am switching to mingw32 gcc-4.5.0 as it is the first release of gcc that does not require manual patching to get it to work properly (and hopefully solves the segfault problem...) And I am taking a closer look at the mingw64 project which provides both x86 and x86_64 runtime for gcc on windows platform (and the corresponding binutils/gcc suite). This one looks very promising - I got the i686-w64-mingw32 platform working here. If x86_64 also works this will provide the possibility for 64bit versions of octave, which would be cool. The Msys project is also currently updating and re-releasing the entire environment, as they switched to gcc-3.4 (from gcc-2.9).
So there is quite some movement ahead on the win platform here.

I wouldn't want windows to be the only reason from keeping an octave release - so if you feel comfortable with it, please go ahead. The situation for building octave 3.3.x on windows is kind of the same with the 3.2 release. Some things now work OOTB, others no longer. It wasn't exactly straightforward with 3.2 and it's not with 3.4. But it's doable. So please don't let you keep from a 3.4 release.

benjamin