Re: GSoC project: new graphics backend

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: GSoC project: new graphics backend
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 06:50:20 -0400

On Mar 26, 2009, at 11:52 PM, Shai Ayal wrote:

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 4:25 AM, Jonathan Stickel <address@hidden> wrote:

Plotting in Octave is pathetic, in my opinion. Among other things, 2D plotting should provide complete control over the style of data points and lines. Mouse control for things like zooming would be nice. Octave has experienced some regression here. 3D plotting should look great, provide text, and have mouse controls. Octave plotting is OK for quick plots to see what my data looks like, but I've come to realize recently that to get publication quality plots, I must resort to saving my data and plotting in a
3rd party program (gnuplot, matplotlib, mayavi, etc).

I must disagree with you on this point. I agree that plotting WAS good
only for quick plots I think that since moving to having core graphics
in octave, I can produce production quality 2D plots using
octave+gnuplot.

We now (at least from version 3.0.3) have full control over line
widths & fonts, and mouse zooming. The only thing I was missing for my
last "publication quality" plot was control over ticklabel fonts. I
think that with some more effort the fltk backend will be up to speed
and provide even those.

As for VTK, from the examples on their page, I do not consider their
graphics "publication quality", and we are building on established
systems by using OpenGL which does most of the 3D work for us

Shai

The developers sources includes the capability of changing the ticklabel fonts.

        set (gca, "fontname", "Times-Roman")

Ben