Re: Text properties and FTGL

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Text properties and FTGL
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 17:22:44 +0000

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 3:40 PM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 29-Oct-2008, John Swensen wrote:
>
> | I think that small subset should also have \dot, \ddot, \hat, \tilde,
> | and maybe a couple others, since these get used quite frequently.
>
> And someone else will of course want \int and \sum and \begin{array}
> and ...  So I think it would be best to simply make it possible to use
> all of TeX, interpreted by TeX itself rather than some kluge.

Maybe I misunderstand Matlab documentation, but I think that the
TeX support is only limited to a small subset of commands
(http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/index.html?/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/ref/text_props.html&http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/creating_plots/f0-4741.html#String)
You don't need a complete TeX for that. My impression (and my
intention) is that you can support those commands natively in the
OpenGL renderer (this is what I've done in JHandles, and what
Shai also intended to do in octplot).

OTOH, the LaTeX interpreter will need latex (Matlab actually uses
an embedded LaTeX engine), but this can be kept optional.

Michael.