Re: more graphics changes - subplots overlap

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: more graphics changes - subplots overlap
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 21:43:54 +0100

Søren Hauberg wrote:

> David Bateman skrev:
>> I'm also seeing this behavior.. Is this also a gnuplot 4.0 vs 4.2 thing?
> I get these same bug using 4.2, so I guess it's a real bug.
>
> Søren

John,

Ok, it appears that the latest changes you made in the CVS fixed this
issue, however it created another, though I'm not sure its a bug.
Consider the code

    figure(1);
    x=1:0.01:10;
    subplot(121);
    xlabel("X");
    title ("Sin(x)");
    ylabel("Y");
    plot (x,sin(x));
    subplot (122);
    xlabel("X");
    title ("Cos(x)");
    ylabel("Y");
    plot (x, cos(x));

In 2.9.9 it correctly prints the title, xlabel and ylabel of the plot,
however in the CVS of a few minutes ago, It fact even just

    figure(1)
    x=1:0.01:10;
    xlabel("X");
    title ("Sin(x)");
    ylabel("Y");
    plot (x,sin(x));

is sufficient to show the issue... To get the text to appear requires
the above to be rewritten as

    figure(1)
    x=1:0.01:10;
    plot (x,sin(x));
    xlabel("X");
    title ("Sin(x)");
    ylabel("Y");

or adding "hold on" as in

    figure(1)
    x=1:0.01:10;
    hold on;
    xlabel("X");
    title ("Sin(x)");
    ylabel("Y");
    plot (x,sin(x));

Is this what matlab does? Was it a deliberate choice to handle things
this way? If so then there might be quite a bit of plotting code to rewrite.

D.