Re: Octave Central (or something like that)

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: Octave Central (or something like that)
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 20:30:08 -0500

On Mar 9, 2007, at 10:25 AM, Søren Hauberg wrote:

Paul Kienzle skrev:

Some desirable features:
* Signed packages.
What is that?

MD5 checksums.  We already have this I believe.

* Author email associated with each package (though not necessarily visible).
When you create a user in drupal you have to give an email address. So we'll always have the email of whoever uploaded a file. Is that enough?

I want to encourage people to maintain their own packages so getting bug reports by mail is helpful. If I have to check for reports it won't happen.

* Only authors/administrators can update/remove packages --- we can avoid passwords if package updates are confirmed by email.
We can have several user roles:
1) Administrators: users that get to change the core of the drupal setup.
  2) Packagers: people allowed to upload files and create/alter pages.
3) Normal users: people allowed to alter pages (i.e. update documentation).

Users that are not logged in will only have read-only access.

I really hate having accounts, particularly if I only use them rarely. Since most contributions will be one-offs, this is a high barrier to entry. I'm envisioning a system that allows you to post a package, giving your e-mail address. The system will then send you an email asking you to confirm that you are adding the package.
Can Drupal do this?

* Issue tracking is useful so long as it is simple, and the submitter doesn't have to have an account.
I don't know if drupal has support for this. But perhaps we should use the SF system? (It's enabled now, but not really used).

I think we will want one tracker per package. I don't know if SF can handle this nicely.

* A talk page for each package might be enough, particularly if it is echoed to the author email address.
Users that are logged in can comment on individual packages.

Again, barrier to entry problems.

* Precompiled binaries for Windows and OS X.
We "just" need somebody to do it :-)

Just suggesting what would be useful...

- Paul