Re: Howto make EEGLab compatible...

From: Andreas Romeyke
Subject: Re: Howto make EEGLab compatible...
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 12:04:55 +0100

Hi John,

John W. Eaton wrote:

> OK, you are certainly encouraged to run that and report problems you
> find.  Submitting fixes is even better.
The most problems are related to EEGLab, sure. Because some of the
Octave-developers deny to be more compatible with Matlab I am not able
to decide what is a real problem by Octave or a compatibility issue.
Only if the result of specific mathematical, isolated operations will
be wrong I had a chance to commit a bugreport, right?

> | The main problems are related to graphical user interfaces and the
> | rotten syntax checking by Matlab.
>
> What do you mean by "rotten syntax checking by Matlab"?

Matlab interpretes the m-files and checks them only in interpreting
state. Octave checks the m-files first, checks the called functions
within and then it will start  the  interpretation-process.  The
problem  is that Matlab programmers only see "the code works", but the
dark corner of their code will not be enlighted because not checked.

> | We are highly interested in
> | dispensing EEGLab from Matlab and porting it to Octave.
>
> OK.
>
> | But in reality
> | it is only possible to support primary Matlab and secondary Octave and
> | therefore we need more or less compatibility between them.
>
> Why is that?
Because most developers are only familiar with Matlab-Syntax. They
also work on universities and are mostly not affected with license
fees so there is not enough pressure to switch over to Octave. The
migration of EEGLab from Matlab to Octave is a long term process and a
lot more of compatibility will make things easier.

> | To avoid unnecessary work we are very interested in your comments and
> | thoughts about this  work and your  roadmap to Octave, especially in
> | supporting GUI-funtionality.
>
> So are you saying "write a Matlab-compatible GUI for us and we will be
> happy"?

It seems the easiest way to me, is not it?

But I am very happy if any(!) GUI-functionality will be added soon. So
we are able to build wrappers to use GUI with Octave, too.

> [*] There seems to be some confusion about the GPL and commercial
>     (vs. proprietary) here: http://sccn.ucsd.edu/eeglab/contrib.html.
>     Please consider correcting this misstatement:
>
>       1 - EEGLAB is distributed under the GPL GNU license, which
>           states that the software cannot be modified for commercial
>           purposes. Any contributed functions we add to EEGLAB will be
>           made available for free non-commercial use under this
>           license.
>
>      The GPL prohibits proprietary derivatives.  It does not prohibit
>      commercial uses.
This will be corrected soon. I will forward your hint to the official
developer-team.

Bye Andreas

- --
Software Developer / Dipl. Inform. (FH)
Max Planck Institute for Human Cognitive and Brain Sciences
Department of Psychology
Stephanstr. 1a, 04103 Leipzig, Germany