Re: check if message is in a particular sequence?

From: Paul Fox
Subject: Re: check if message is in a particular sequence?
Date: Sat, 01 May 2021 14:17:34 -0400

ralph wrote:
 > I think the output looks spot on and the tests cover the twelve ways of
 > combining 3 × 2 × 2 settings.

:-)   That's why I wrote the commands first, and automated running
them.  I kept forgetting to try some combination or other.

 > What if ‘uip/mark -l 42’ is done where 42 doesn't exist?  I think that

    $ mark -l 9 42
    mark: message 42 doesn't exist

No output except the error message.

 > Sorry for the extra labour, I realise it's easier to just heckle and lob
 > empty beer bottles.  :-)

No worries!  It's important to get it right.  As a bonus, somehow the
man page paragraph for -list has shrunk bit, which I think means the
options are cleaner, or I'm thinking about them more cleanly.

   The -list switch tells mark to list all sequences and the
   messages associated with them.  The output can be limited to
   just certain sequences (with -sequence switches) and/or
   messages (with msgs arguments).  The -noempty switch will
   suppress sequences which would be listed as empty, either
   because they actually are empty, or because they don't include
   any messages specified by msgs.  The -zero switch does not
   affect the operation of -list.

paul
paul fox, pgf@foxharp.boston.ma.us (arlington, ma, where it's 58.6 degrees)