Re: check if message is in a particular sequence?

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: check if message is in a particular sequence?
Date: Sat, 01 May 2021 13:48:22 -0400

>> but would suffer compared with Ken's approach in that deleted messages
>> would still be reported
>
>I don't think they would; mark(1) doesn't output removed messages,
>whether by rmm(1) or through the filesystem.
>[...]

Right, any nmh program which calls folder_read() (which is basically
almost all of them) performs a readdir() on the whole folder and reads in
the sequences; as part of that it cleans up any sequence entries that
refer to missing files.

Well, let me amend that statement.  _Internally_ the sequence list is
cleaned up.  But the cleaned-up sequence doesn't get written unless you
use a program that modifies any sequence (specifically, it has to set
the SEQMOD bit on the folder).  So if you are directly reading the
sequence file it is possible that it will refer to a message that
does not exist _IF_ you delete messages from a folder without going
through nmh.  But no nmh utility should say that a nonexistant message
is a member of a sequence (with the caveat that it COULD happen if you
delete a message after a nmh program calls folder_read()).

--Ken