Re: [nmh-workers] Additional features for S/MIME support

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [nmh-workers] Additional features for S/MIME support
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2019 18:58:42 -0400

>Can you explain the problem you are trying to solve?

I want to be able to GENERATE a S/MIME message given a MH draft message.
There are a number of tools for platforms that can take a file and generate
CMS output (such as a signature) based on that file.  We don't quite have
the tooling to (a) get the correct output to feed into such a tool and
(b) generate things in such a way to make the correct MIME output.

>I think it is about being able to take S/MIME messages which might be
>encrypted, and then (optionally) store the unencrypted bits somewhere
>so that we can manipulate them easily?

Actually, we are actually "okay" on having some of the basic tools
necessary to get that stuff output.  I have mhstore'd a received S/MIME
message and use the right crypto tools to extract out the content.
Seamless display is a little harder, but we're not terrible at least.

--Ken