Re: [Nel] Trouble with block memory allocator

From: Cyril 'Hulud' Corvazier
Subject: Re: [Nel] Trouble with block memory allocator
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 11:07:01 +0100

After a small talk with Lionel,

This hack has been done to save speed and memory.

Speed : the CSTLBlockAllocator allocates most of the time in o(1) (ok, like
STLPort allocator for size < 128 bytes, but we didn't
knew that at this time). The CSTLBlockAllocator doesn't use a mutex. Perhaps,
this explain the small speed gain.

Memory granularity : I'm not sure of this fact, but i think the STLPort small
block granularity is 8 bytes. We use the
CSTLBlockAllocator to allocate pointers of 4 bytes.

Hld