[Nel] Patches for GNU/Linux packaging

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: [Nel] Patches for GNU/Linux packaging
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 09:59:42 +0100

[I originaly sent this mail on Monday 11 March but it was trashed
 because of the mailing list problems]

        Hi,

        Here is a detailed description of the changes I had to do in
order to generate the debian packages. I did not try to "improve"
anything and limited myself to things that were strictly necessary for
packaging purposes. I hope you'll find this patch acceptable for the
CVS tree. Since it is bit over the 15 lines threshold, I guess it raises
the copyright assignment question once more. Any news on this side ?

        All changes were made so that the previous behaviour does not
change. I've added things and fixed bugs but did not alter the way
nel/snowballs/nelns previously behaved in any way, except for the
installation of components of course:

        All services daemon (sno_* + *_service) are installed in /usr/sbin
        instead of /usr/bin.

        Logs go to /var/log/{snowballs,nelns}

        Configuration files are fetched in /etc/{snowballs,nelns}

        Local state file (login_service.udb) is in /var/games/nelns

        Data is fetched in /usr/share/games/snowballs

Makefiles:
        - Added numerous missing files in EXTRA_DIST so that
          make dist does a proper job
        - dist-hook is used to get rid of CVS directories
          leftovers instead of replacing EXTRA_DIST
        - LDADD mostly suppressed, there is no need to specify
          -lnelnet etc., configure does it for us
        - DIST_SUBDIRS were added where SUBDIRS = @something@ was
          used to keep make dist happy
        - Added numerous missing headers in noinst_HEADERS

acinclude.m4:
        - Reworked AM_PATH_NEL

                Priority works as follows (higher to lower)
                . --with-nel-include and --with-nel-lib
                . --with-nel
                . nel-config

                When --with-nel* was specified, libraries were not
                collected, this was fixed. AC_CHECK_LIB stacks what it
                finds, the macro uses LDFLAGS (previously unused) to
                make sure it searches in the right place.

                Comment and removed unused variables

                Replaced MY_NEL_LIB_CHK tricks with play AC_CHECK_LIB.
                It now takes only three args.

                --without-nel triggers an error

        - Reworked AM_PATH_STLPORT

                --without-stlport triggers an error

                --with-stlport without argument is supported and DTRT

                Priority works as follows (higher to lower)
                . --with-stlport-include and --with-stlport-lib
                . --with-stlport
                It was the opposite and generated some confusion

                Use AC_CHECK_LIB and AC_CHECK_HEADER rather than a
                more complex combination of AC_TRY_LINK & CPPFLAGS
                tricks

                Switch to c++ using AC_LANG_* macros

nel: configure.in, acconfig.h, debug.cpp:

        - created acconfig.h and modified configure.in to define
          --without-logging that suppresses *all* log.log + stdout
          information

        - debug.cpp uses NEL_DEFAULT_DISPLAYER and NEL_LOG_IN_FILE
          to figure out if it should be verbose. The default is to
          be verbose on both channels, this is unchanged.

        - -I${top_srcdir} is added to CXXFLAGS + CFLAGS so that
          building in a directory that is not the source directory
          works

nel-config.in:

        - New option --ldflags returns -L${libdir}. It is used
          by AM_PATH_NEL instead of --libs since AC_CHECK_LIB
          already collects available libraries.

service(_5)?.{h,cpp} + all nel services daemons and associated configure.in:

        - NLNET_SERVICE_MAIN takes two more arguments
          ConfigDir + LogDir

        - They are defined as static and default to "" so that the
          previous behaviour (create all files in current directory)
          is preserved.

        - nelns & snowballs configure.in files define the path of the
          log + config directory (log = /var/log/nelns, config = /etc/nelns,
          typically) and daemons get them by including config.h.

        - If config.h is not available (there are people who dislike autoconf
          for some reason ;-) the path is set to "", as it was before.

nelns + snowballs configure.in + Makefile.am:

        - added comments to AM_PATH_NEL

        - removed broken AC_CONST (if your c++ compiler does not support
          const you're in trouble and having AC_CONST work by switching to
          the proper (unused) language is not worth the effort)

        - now install daemons in /usr/sbin instead of /usr/bin

        - install configuration files *.cfg in pkgsysconf that is
          defined to $sysconf/{nelns,snowballs}

        - configuration files are fetched from /etc/{snowballs,nelns}

        - game data are fetched from /usr/share/games/snowballs

documentation:

        - various documentation typo fixed

        - recommend 4.5

The best was to retrieve the patches that match the above description
is to download the debian diffs (regular diffs). If you're not
interested in the debian packaging related files, just trash the
"debian" directories after applying the patch.

http://loic.dachary.org/debian/nel/nel_0.3.0-3.diff.gz
http://loic.dachary.org/debian/nelns/nelns_0.3.0-3.diff.gz
http://loic.dachary.org/debian/snowballs/snowballs_0.2.0-2.diff.gz